Throughout my many years coaching and teaching, I have learned what it takes to be a great teammate.
Below are 7 tips I have compiled for you to consider as you develop your relationships with those around you.
- Be open. Share thoughts and feelings with your teammates. The quickest way to drive people apart is to be closed off emotionally and keep secrets. When someone approaches you with an idea, respond with “Wow!” and not “How?”
- Look for the good. Stay positive and find the good in every situation. Praise your teammates in public and criticize in private.
- Add value. You should seek to add value to any group or team that you are a part of.
- Help, teach, and share successes with others. Give advice to others and help aid their growth path.
- Show you care. Ask your teammates, “How can I help?” and expect the same in return. Learn about their families, ask about their likes and dislikes, and connect with them on a deep level. Teams that know they care about each other will be successful.
- Pick them up. When teammates are down, pick them up. Encourage others when needed and help them get through tough times.
- We over me. Always put your teammates over your own interests and think of how you can help others first. The best teams put the interests of the team over their own.
Are you a teammate worth having or do you need to work on how you interact with your teammates?