A great team is something that can be built. With the right ingredients and development, any group of people can come together for the betterment of everyone and form a strong unit. This month, I share with you the main ingredients of what a great team is really made of. Enjoy.
- TRUST: In order to have a great team, they must trust one another. Trust must be earned and awarded at all times. The instant trust goes away, marks the beginning of the end. Trust each other, trust leadership, and trust the process. It can take a while for trust to be built, so stay patient.
- TOGETHERNESS: You must have a unified common goal amongst your squad, bringing everyone together for a sole purpose. I always liked to take my players out for dinner outside of the court. These little activities can go a long way in building a team atmosphere. How do you get your team to stay together?
- ENTHUSIASM: Those who have drive and passion should have a spot on your team. They know what it takes to be successful and don’t stop until goals are achieved. It is crucial to stay upbeat and focused throughout the journey. How is your enthusiasm?
- ATTITUDES: As you may have heard, attitudes are contagious. We must find people for our team with attitudes that match the overall goals of the group. If someone has a poor attitude, it can infect the group as a whole. How can they handle good and bad situations that arise? Make sure your team is filled with positive attitudes that stop at nothing until the job is done.
- KNOW YOUR WHY: What is your teams’ why? Find people who will be able to align with the goals and values of the whole. Be very clear and carve out roles for each individual. This will help establish boundaries as well as optimize the efficiency while attempting to accomplish certain tasks. What is your why?
- MENTAL TOUGHNESS: Having team members who don’t get too high or too low is crucial to your success. Being mentally tough takes more than just being thick-skinned. Your team must learn to deal with adversity and success alike. Do you have what it takes?
About The Author: Coach Jim JOHNSON is one of Your Monthly Mentors, an author and authority on teamwork, leadership, and realizing your dreams. Based in Rochester, New York, he is most famously known for helping an autistic senior, Jason McElwain (J-Mac), realize his dreams and play with his basketball team. Jason scored an amazing 20 points in 4 minutes during that game. Coach Jim Johnson has appeared on Oprah, Good Morning America, and ESPN and is the author of the book “A Coach and a Miracle: Life Lessons From a Man Who Believed in an Autistic Boy”. Read More…
Subscribe to The Teen Mentor and receive more awesome articles like this straight to your inbox.