Couples will argue. It’s okay. It means you’re engaging with each other and want to connect. There are 2 things that couples don’t do that make these arguments too hard on the relationship.
- They don’t recognize that an argument has happened and that repair is necessary to make things better.
- Couples don’t know what to do afterwards.
Sit with each other. Make eye contact. Say some of these phrases below to each other. Go slow. Breathe. There are no rules, but this is how vulnerability works. The correct statement may make one or both of you cry, or even laugh, and ultimately make you closer.
Phrases to say that can help you make up
- I felt afraid and I didn’t know what to say next.
- I felt defensive and that’s why I acted that way.
- I didn’t do well with trying to understand you.
- I’m not just sorry, but I will do better the next time.
- I felt unattractive to you and like you didn’t want me.
- I felt overwhelmed.
- I felt that I didn’t have any choices.
- Even though I run away, what I really want is to be with you.
- I was sarcastic towards you.
- I felt angry, and I know I was loud and may have scared you.
- I was too focused on being right, and did not listen to you.
- My feelings can get hurt easily, and I attack instead of saying I was hurt.
- I have no idea what I’m feeling, but I’m glad we are talking.
- I criticized you. It happens automatically. I will be careful about that.
- I felt criticized by you. I think maybe I do that to you also.
- I feel powerless.
- I did not feel heard and understood.
- I felt worried.
- I want to love you better.
- I feel sad.
- It felt unfair.
About the Author: Derek HART is one of Your Monthly Mentors, a Relationship Coach, Speaker, Writer, and the founder of UnderstandEachOther.com based in San Anselmo, California. He has been counseling people since 1990, with over 27,000 hours in experience. The unique experience he brings to his counseling practice is based upon years of doing his own deep inner work. A student and teacher of the human journey, Derek has continually studied the great works of the top psychology and spiritual masters of our time. Read More…