Do you want to put a smile on someone’s face today? Maybe make their day a little better? It doesn’t have to cost a single penny or much time to do just that. And because smiling is contagious, you’ll find that making one person smile causes happiness to spread like a sweet smell on a warm breeze.
20 Ways to Make Someone Smile
Challenge yourself. See how many of these smile-spreading techniques you can complete this week!
1. Smile at someone.
2. Compliment a friend or family member.
3. Donate something to charity.
4. Take a friend out to lunch.
5. Let someone know you miss them.
6. Make a surprise call to your partner or a friend at work, just to say hi.
7. Hold a door open for someone walking behind you.
8. Hug your partner or a family member for no reason.
9. Share a joke with someone.
10. Send a card or note to a friend or coworker letting them know you appreciate something they’ve done.
11. Give up your seat on the train or bus to someone.
12. Share your umbrella on a rainy day.
13. Ask a friend if they need anything while you’re out shopping.
14. Plan a picnic! Raining outside? How about an indoor picnic!
15. Leave a love letter somewhere where your partner will find it.
16. Send someone an unexpected gift like a tasty snack or a book they’ll enjoy.
17. Tell a friend, family member or coworker they’re doing a great job.
18. Tell someone you thought about them.
19. Cook a surprise meal for your family or friends one night, especially if you don’t normally do the cooking.
20. Send some flowers to your partner or a friend.
Did you know it takes only 17 muscles to smile, but 43 to frown? Why waste all that energy frowning when you could just smile?
Here are 5 more facts about smiling.
1. Women smile more than men.
2. Smiling releases endorphins that make us feel better.
3. We are all born with the ability to smile, it’s not something we learn from others.
4. A smile is a universal expression of happiness.
5. A smiling person is thought to be a more pleasant, attractive, sociable, sincere and competent than a non-smiling person.
Just remember, smiling is the easiest and cheapest way of improving your looks.
For more tips and ideas on spreading happiness through acts of kindness, check out Day 9 Kindness: Pay It Forward in my book, 21 Days to Happiness.
About the Author: Ingrid KELADA, Monthly Mentor, is an experienced psychologist, speaker and happiness expert. As a speaker, she has facilitated over 1000 workshops around the world. People find her to be pragmatic, inspiring and funny! With over 25 years experience, Ingrid offers her expertise to a wide range of clients. She is bilingual and a member of the professional association of Psychologists of Quebec, Canada. Ingrid is also the Author of 21 Days to Happiness. Whether you’re feeling overwhelmed and frustrated or just want to increase your happiness, Ingrid teaches you how to be happier in just 10 minutes per day. Read More…