There is no way any of us can know where our life will go, and today’s guest took his life in a very different direction.
Jay Shetty grew up thinking he would he an art director and loved design. As a teenager he was a troublemaker. He never would have thought his life of drugs and stealing cars would turn into the life of a monk.
He made it to college and did well, but as soon as he graduated, he decided to go to India to spend three years studying how to find inner peace with monks.
“When you feel safe, that’s when you’re most vulnerable.” – Jay Shetty
Heartbroken, Jay left and eventually found the power of YouTube. He has gained amazing international success sharing the lessons he’s learned from his time as a monk teaching ancient wisdom on modern platforms.
You will be surprised at how much of these lessons don’t just apply to life but also to business.
He’s mastered the power of video marketing and storytelling and on this episode, he shared his insights on how to create powerful impact with media. We discussed the lessons he learned from spending time as a monk, what motivates people to take action, and how to find your purpose in the world.
Discover all of that and much more, on Episode 608.
“Our brain is happier in service.” – Jay Shetty
Some Questions I Ask:
- Why did you decide you wanted to be a monk in the first place? (7:34)
- How many summers did you spend with them before you decided to join? (14:54)
- How would you commute? (21:27)
- Doesn’t personal growth also come from experiencing life? (25:32)
- Why are we wired for service? (32:42)
- Are there any weeds in your life right now? (40:06)
- What was the conversation like when your mentor said you had to leave? (43:24)
- When did you realize your videos started to take off? (55:28)
- Do you think every brand should be using video? (1:01:26)
- What’s the thing that makes someone want to share and leave a comment? (1:05:23)
- What’s something most people don’t know about you that you’re really proud of? (1:10:15)
- Is there anything you do during your day that you’re not proud of? (1:13:57)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Why he fell in love with being a monk (13:46)
- What a typical day as a monk is like (16:14)
- How a monk detaches themselves from having a sex life (24:00)
- What he noticed the most about the outside world (27:54)
- The greatest lessons he learned being a monk (37:58)
- The thing he wants to create the most (41:40)
- When he realized he wanted to start creating videos (48:22)
- What people don’t understand about using videos for their business (58:34)
- How his wife went from student to master (1:12:26)
- Plus much more…
Visit Jay’s website here.
About the Author: Lewis HOWES, Bi-Weekly Mentor, is a New York Times Bestselling author of the hit book, The School of Greatness and The Mask of Masculinity. He is a lifestyle entrepreneur, high performance business coach and keynote speaker. A former professional football player and two-sport All-American, he is a current USA Men’s National Handball Team athlete. He hosts a top 100 iTunes ranked Apple podcast, The School of Greatness, which has over 60 million downloads and 650 episodes since it launched in 2013. Lewis was recognized by The White House and President Obama as one of the top 100 entrepreneurs in the country under 30. Details Magazine called him one of “5 Internet Gurus That can Make You Rich.” Read More…